Communism and Courtney...

As most of you know our good friend Courtney Keefe will be going to China for a year to teach little pings. I'm not sure exactly why she will be doing this, but if she wants to be adventurous I wish her all the luck in the world. Before me and Lou sent her off last night some interesting things were brought to my attention about China. Me, being me never had the desire to really learn anything about China other than I know that they're a bunch of commie bastards, and I really like their chicken wings so I decided I would take a little time to "google" China and see if I can learn anything interesting, for Courtney's sake.
First of all, the people of China don't have the freedom of expression. In other words this means that they can't lie, show anything against the government, spread rumors, or openly insult people. Can you imagine that? I love to gossip. When I worked for BHC it was like my thing. There was a tight group of us that knew everything about everyone that worked there, and made sure we kept everyone updated. I have even started this at the new job. I mean why wouldn't I, it makes the day go by a hell of a lot faster. A lot of the times when I "gossip", I may tend to embellish a bit. So without even thinking about it I have already broken two laws. I also constantly insult people, it's not always malicious, but it's downright funny. And, in the past 5 and 1/2 years I have developed a hatred for our president(purposely not capitalized). Who in their right mind can like that guy? Have you heard him talk? Hey GW, Vietnam was in the 70's, it wasn't cool then, and it's not cool now. And because the Chinese people don't have the freedom of expression the internet in China is severely regulated. Anyone who breaks any of the laws are SEVERELY punished. I wonder if they have MySpace.....
Secondly, they don't have the freedom of speech. This simply means that they cannot speak their minds if it is something that the Chinese gov't doesn't want to hear. So if I want to say that I don't like the President, or I think he is a terrible public speaker I can't say it. That's just crazy. Courtney actually told me that music is completely different there because of the inability to speak freely. I would assume so. I'm also not entirely sure that Eminem would make/sell too many records in China.
The Chinese People's way of life seems so different to me. I can't imagine visiting there, and not being able to comment on all of those damn communists walking around, nevermind living there for a year. So, good luck to you Courtney, watch what you say, and whatever you do, stay away from the Bird Flu.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home