Ignorance Indeed...

First of all, I would like to apologize to the 3 of you that actually read this blog for it being so long since the last update. I have no excuse for this other than an overwhelming sense of laziness. My bad.
I guess everything in my life has been pretty "straight"-forward. I feel like I live in the 50's. I am a 23 year old, straight, white, middle-class democrat. I have a girlfriend of the same description, and 99% of my friends fit the same mold. I have one gay cousin, and another who thought he was gay, realized he wasn't and went back. I wonder what made him realize he wasn't? Could it have been the penis? So for the most part I have been surronded by straight, white people my entire life. Then it all changed.....
Sometime last week I realized that a much-liked co-worker of mine was indeed a gay homosexual( Yes, I know that contradicts itself). I was pretty surprised by this, but never looked into it too much. I had always had questions, but it was almost like my ignorant brain didn't want to accept it. I had heard multilple girlfriend references, just never put gay and gay together. When I found out, I thought that I was going to have to watch what I said, and how I acted in front of her. I thought I was going to have to be different, then something happened....
After the second day of "gayness", I realized a few things. I'm from the north, I have a pink shirt, and I'm a democrat. I shouldn't be avoiding this gayness, I should be embracing it(well not really embracing). I realized that I got along with this co-worker really well before, and why should it stop now? I shouldn't change the way I act around said co-worker, because if I wasn't being offensive before, why would I be now? I realized that I was being ignorant by trying to change. Gay people don't want to be treated special, they want to be treated normal, because they are normal. So I again apologize for my ignorance. And if you wanna be gay, rock on...
-I apologize if anyone found this offensive. It was intended for humor and to show my own ignorance.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home