We as fans....

Last night, as I watched my lovely lady's softball team get pounced by a bunch of man-hating lesbians*, I realized that fans today are completely obsessed with numbers, myself included. I know, I know that we all say that we look for a player with "heart", and is "loyal", but the truth is that all we want is homeruns, and RBIs.
Meg's team began it's 3 game series last night against a group of the manliest women I have ever seen. As you may know from a previous blog I may not exactly have been around too may lesbians in my day, but from working on a boat that occasionally went to Provincetown I feel like I've seen my fair share. So, in the bottom of the 5th I heard one of the other boyfriend's/baby's daddy say "At least score a couple runs" to one of the girls. It was at that exact moment that I realized just how preoccupied fans had become with stats. The score at this point was 11-0, what difference was a couple runs going to make?
When this imposter/fan said this, it dawned on me that a win is no longer a win, and a loss is no longer a loss. I blame this primarily on Sportscenter. Even though I love it, it has gotten fans to look at almost nothing buts a player's stats. Today's professional athlete is based on their abilities within a certain field in each sport. For example, Jason Varitek is hitting .243 this year, and by everyone's standards he's having an "off" year, but I bet no one noticed that he's(before his injury) tied for 3rd in the majors in errors this year. Yes, V-tek may not be quite up to par with his batting average, but everything else is right there, but I have heard countless reminders of how he's not producing this year, even that dumb-ass Jerry Remy says so.
When it comes down to it, a so-called "great" season isn't what's going to win the World Series, or the Superbowl, it's a certain play at a certain moment. Whether it is that clutch homerun in the 9th, or a sac bunt to push the runner up an extra 90 ft in the 6th. A "W" is still a "W" no matter who homers and how many times.....
*I have absolutely nothing against lesbians. But these ones were clearly man-haters, and they were manly, I'm not joking when I tell you that one of them called me a "fag".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home